Jay Z, Questlove, Lady Gaga, others allegedly declined to be interviewed for ‘Surviving R. Kelly’
Courtesy of Lifetime
The Lifetime docu-series Surviving R. Kelly premiered Thursday night and featured shocking accounts of the R&B crooner’s alleged illicit acts with underage women.
The breadth of the six part expose is carried by interviews with Kelly’s ex-wife, Andrea Kelly, culture critic Toure, members of the singer’s inner circle and his alleged “sex cult” victims. The short list of potential interviewees, however, included the likes of Jay Z, Questlove, Lady Gaga and more, executive producer Dream Hampton revealed to The Detroit Free Press.
“We asked Lady Gaga. We asked Erykah Badu. We asked Celine Dion. We asked JAY-Z. We asked Dave Chappelle,” Hampton told the newspaper, adding Mary J. Blige and Lil Kim were also tapped for the project. All declined to participate.
“I remember [Questlove] was like, ‘I would do anything for you but I can’t do this,’” Hampton claimed. “It’s not because they support him, it’s because it’s so messy and muddy. It’s that turning away that has allowed this to go on.”
Two entertainers, however, did agree to be interviewed: R&B singer Sparkle, who testified against Kelly in 2008, and John Legend. “That makes John Legend even more of a hero for me,” Hampton said.
As previously reported, Kelly has allegedly threatened to take legal action against Lifetime with a federal lawsuit if the program airs.
Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.